Welcome!

We hope you enjoy roaming with us on our latest adventures... Living for now on the east side of London, we feel that there are some memories worth noting. This seemed as good a way as any to try to make sure we record as many as possible.

Love to have your comments and contributions too of course.

Lis & Dwayne

Saturday 20 June 2009

A4ID

I thought I could explain who I work for here. Thanks to them we are even in the UK at all since they got me the work permit! (I'm sure they'll never do it again given it took 5 months to process...) I work for a small UK charity called Advocates for International Development. My role is to manage the broker service, which enables organisations pursuing the UN Millennium Development Goals (addressing global poverty in some way - but it includes environmental challenges and the developed world making necessary changes too) to access free legal services through the partnerships we have with law firms, legal academics and barristers. So, these tiny and large organisations contact me, I help them work out what it is they need and how lawyers might be useful (both traditional legal things like helping with employment, contract, tax, property issues, and also broader rights-related research and analysis, like looking at how a UN Convention might be applied in many countries). Then I circulate the requests to A4ID's Legal Partners who can elect to do the work if they have the expertise and capacity needed. I then connect the lawyers to the organisation and away they go (well, I stay in touch in case there's a problem and to see how the work goes). That's one part of the work. Then there's the education programs (or 'programmes' as the English would say) for lawyers on development issues [Dwayne & I did the year-long course which was fantastic] and for development professionals on legal issues. And the awareness-raising through events and smaller group meetings. In July, Archbishop Desmond Tutu is coming to speak for us in St Paul's Cathedral on the Millennium Development Goals to about 2,000 people! We're looking forward to that. Dwayne's been the photographer for most A4ID events this year which he has really enjoyed - the Tutu event will be his biggest job yet! The training programme we went on has been a great way for us to meet people we like and find interesting. Most of our new friends have come through it. The friends that came for dinner last night were from the course.

No comments:

Post a Comment